Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Operation : Day 0

Feb 26, 2010
Operation day.

I arrived at Scott Hyver's office at 11:30 am, after signing some papers I was brought back to the examination area where they took a baseline for my vision. -4.75 each side!!

They asked if i wanted to take any Valium to soothe the nerves and I declined. I'm not a big fan of any sort of drugs or medication, so during this entire process I will be using the bare minimum medication required to heal.

I was told to put on some surgical boots over my sneakers and then sent to the waiting area. 10 or so minutes later I saw another man go come out after having his surgery and I was brought back into the surgery center.

Gauze was placed over my ears and a cap over my head, then I was asked to lay back. At this point they taped my eye lids open and placed an eye opener around my right eye. Several fluids were splashed into my eye and then the procedure began.

I was told to constantly look at this green light directly in front of my eye, which i definitely tried to do, but wasn't easy at times. Dr. Hyver then used what I can only describe as "that thing the dentists use to clean your teeth" on my eye for about 10 ish seconds. my vision went from my normal vision to really blurry and back to close to normal.

At this point Dr. Hyver brought over the lasers and told me to keep my eye on the green light no matter what. I looked up at the green light and it went from my normal fuzzy to REALLY REALLY fuzzy and in about 15 seconds SUPER clear!! holy moly!

After this my eye was splashed with several more fluids at which time my vision went fuzzy again, then back to clear. Afterwards a protective contact was placed over my eye and the procedure was over.

The same procedure was done for the left eye.

In about 15 minutes I was all done and being shuffled into another examination room. I was given a baggy filled with medicine, some instructions and some sunglasses.

I left the Dr's office at 1245 pm. My dad wanted to get lunch so I agreed to get some drive through and immediately passed out in the car. Pain wise I didn't feel any pain but my eyes were exhausted. I felt like they were open for a really long time and I just wanted to close them.

I got home did my first round of eye drops. Vigamox, Flarex, Xibrom , immediately ate lunch then proceeded to pass out on the couch for a few hours.

I woke up later in the evening and was able to see semi-clearly although my eyes were still really tired. for the most part I felt like i was walking around with contacts that had been in my eyes for days. More eye drops and I passed out again

No comments: