Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Week with the Atrix 4g... part 2

Day 2


Unlike most of the other days I just stuck the phone in my pocket on this day to see how my customizations worked and how I could use it on a day to day basis.


Bus ride -

Shit, I didn't install espn radio so I'm stuck listening to my personal music collection

Double Shit, I didn't put all my music on there since i was dragging and dropping so I'm stuck listening to a bunch of old music that put me to sleep on the bus. I need to find a way to sync iTunes.


Reception at work -

None.. further proof that the iPhone doest suffer the reception problems people so claim it to have. I was able to get text messages and edge reception at work. With the Atrix I get none.. bahhhh


Notification System -

It's good but still not perfect, much better than the iPhone notification system but I tend to look at notifications and ignore them till later, but I clear them out of the system. With iOS things like text messages and mail that I haven't read will still show up on the app that I haven't read them, whereas on Android they are just marked gone once I clear the notification. I forgot about a few texts and emails rather quickly. Ideally a hybrid of the two would be nice.


The widgets I thought were so cool are beginning to annoy me. Some crash, some involve me clicking into things so many times I might as well opened up the app directly. Fruststaiton is setting in.


Day 3

APPS... aaughhhh.. Why are some of the apps locked to the landscape mode? Almost all iPhone apps can be used in both portrait and landscape. This annoys me to no end. Both Amazon's barcode scanner and espn radio and locked to landscape mode. Everytime I had to scan something to check a price with amazon i had to turn the phone sideways then back upright to see the product listing.. poor ui design ...


I also added several apps today

iSync

slingplayer

espn radio


What I noticed is that espn radio is way behind version wise than the iOS version. This version is very buggy and cuts out a LOT. Similarly my google reader app continually locks up and then switches to different news articles and opens them in the browser so I have to go all the way back out to get to the right article.


Btw. I've also turned off live wallpapers since it was mentioned that it is a heavy cpu suck. I noticed minimal differences, and minimal stability increase. Also, after talking to a friend he mentioned that eliminating widgets would improve stability. my response? Fuck this. I'm going to use this phone as I would in real life and if the phone / os can't handle it properly they shouldn't have put it on in the first place. Live wallpapers are going back on.


This is one of the main things I hated about Windows Mobile. Install something, looks cool! YEA! Crash phone . SHIT ok try again. FUCK! reproduce problem. DAMNIT. remove from phone, and wait for the next version.


I never have to do this with my iPhone. something looks cool and I want to use it I use it and it works (unless I'm doing something in the jailbreak)


So here's my take on it right now. Unjailbroken iPhone to unrooted Android. the Iphone wins.. period.. more stable, just works and I'd use it day to day.. But you have 5 more days and you've made your decision already you say..


Well not exactly..


Tonight.. WE ROOT..

custom roms here I come...


No comments: