Monday, March 21, 2011

My Week with the Atrix 4g.. part 1

I gave the android the ole college try and put down my iPhone 4 for a week to try and get a grasp of the Android.


Day 0. I'm not counting this as a day because I decided I can't honestly imagine an Android phone equalling my 3 years with the iPhone right away. I spent most of this day downloading as many of the same applications I have on my iPhone on the Atrix and setting up the wallpaper / widgets / accts etc etc.


Some quick disappointments of missing apps:

Zinio (this one is rather huge)

Netflix ( I can live with that)

Starbucks card (whaaa)


Things I didn't install:

TomTom (too cheap to repay $60 for that when google maps does turn by turn)


Day 1. I'm currently just dragging and dropping music into an SD card as well as my other media... I've read about some apps that can sync your iTunes library, which would be very helpful. Currently the syncing aspect of media is a huge negative. As much as I HATE iTunes, it makes putting specific music on my iPhone / iPad so much easier. Specifically I remove and add music depending on where I'm going because sometimes I need more space fo videos than music etc etc. I can't imagine doing that right now..


Widgets!! Alright these are fucking cool. Apple needs to get us widgets on the iPhone. The one annoying thing I have about widgets is that you have to lock them in a grid style. some of the widgets use up a LOT of negative space which annoys me to no end.. I'm wasting space where I can put more information!!! The inflexibility of some of the other widgets annoys me as well. I can see myself fiddling with these for months on end to get the right setup.


gMail.. yes.. this is good (although in my search for android apps I actually found out you can install some android apps on the iphone so I might have to hack this one onto my iPhone)


Fingerprint ID.. Holy moly this thing is sweet!!! Unlock your phone with a swipe of your fingertip? Awwweeeesome..

I know a lot of other androids don't have this, but it's definitely a plus for the atrix.


Screen.. Very sharp, very bright.. I'm getting an antiglare screen cover so I'll comment on that more when it comes in.


Quirks? Sometimes when I type there is still a lot of lag or misinterpretation of the keys. I was pretty surprised as the screen is a little larger than the iPhone.. Also, it feels like I hit the wrong keys a lot more than I do on the iPhone. Maybe the antiglare screen will help?


Stalling Apps.. I've had a lot of apps stall or die on me mid stream. the main mail client, nook, im+, dropbox, facebook.

Not sure what the deal is here.


Live wallpaper! - very cool.. I have it set right now so let's see how battery life does (although the atrix does have a HUGE battery.


Speed - I actually did this test on day 0 with the iphone but the iphone actually got faster than the atrix... Thanks at&t for a fake shitty ass 4g!


No comments: